Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Jellyfish auto feeding.

So in the dilemma of bad food I have had lately, I found an interesting solution. auto feeding. Now there are mechanical auto feeders available but those aren't really practical for the desktop jellyfish tank from jellyfish art. However I did find a way to keep a constant supply of food for my jellyfish so that they may eat during the day like in nature.
So yesterday I tried feeding one of my jellyfish raw unhatched decapsulated brine shrimp eggs. Well they hated the so bad they dropped them off their tentacles almost immediately. So I dumped a serving (cap full) of eggs into the tank. My hypothesis was that they would land in the substrates and hatch, under very optimum conditions (good light, warm water, etc). And sure enough they hatched today. I noticed my jellyfish were half full on brine shrimp, which is very pleasing. I literally only have to dump a serving of decapsulated brine shrimp eggs in the water. the jellyfish ignore these eggs, which hatch into good food. Plus the brine shrimp that don't hatch are already on their way to the filter, and the dead uneaten shrimps will sink and be filtered.
On the down side one of my jellyfish burnt his tentacles off again. He did that before when he was having problems acclimating at first. His tentacles grew back but he burnt them right off again. cant say for sure if they will grow back this time. Last time he had a tentacle nub and the base of his oral arms. Well I will treat him with marine stress coat and see what I can do. problem is he hasn't eaten any brine shrimp, so he will definitely be shrinking before his tentacles can grow back.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this. After a recent night dive in the Red Sea, Israel, I have been considering setting up a jellyfish tank. Auto-feeding is something I would be very interested in doing. As a mechanical engineer, I am very interested in trying to add the automation to a tank.

    ReplyDelete