Thursday, June 2, 2011

Ephyra

I found an ephyra swimming in my tank today! I was observing the hydroids in my tank and then a very small ephyra swam by. I was rather stunned that it browsed by. I had no clue that there were any polyps strobilating in my tank. The heat trick didn't appear to work, but I may have just been two impatient.
I caught the little ephyra in a cup and looked at him for a while. It looks pretty cool. I bought some petri dishes and other supplies online, but they haven't arrived yet so I reluctantly let the ephyra swim away in the tank. It should be reasonable safe there. I hope it gets bigger and develops into a mature medusa.
My plans for the tank are pretty sketchy but I think everything might just fall in place. i want to obtain about three to five moon jellyfish. Then I'm going to nuke the tank and start it all over, then add these moon jellyfish. I'm hoping I can collect enough ephyra to grow out and obtain my 3-5 moons. I really cant afford another set of three jellyfish at the moment. however the polyps can be rather unreliable. if they every once in awhile I will end up with mature medusa in my disgusting tank while I wait for more ephyra. I will have to try adding some lugol's iodine and see if i will get more than one ephyra.

1 comment:

  1. Travis, there is a cool thing called the perfect beaker which is great for growing ephyra. It is an upside-down cone that holds water. You can use an air pump and some airline in it. Tie a tight knot in the airline to make one bubble every 10-20 seconds (More bubbles if the reach the bottom between bubbles, and less bubbles if they are being thrown around). Perhaps you could even do a bubble every 30 seconds. Then do a 100% water change every 24-36 hours. It's nice to keep a jug of pre-mixed salt water. Live artemia nauplii are best because they aren't decaying like dead food is, which will preserve water quality for the delicate ephyra. You might even try culturing live rotifers. That should be enough to help them grow. GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete