Thursday, August 18, 2011

jellyfish for sale?

So the Cannon ball jellyfish did not make the trip back. The bucket acted like a furnace and essentially killed the jellyfish with heat.
My jellyfish at home is doing fine. he is a little smaller do to lack of food but that wont be a major problem. The polyps are better than ever. they were living in a 1.5 gallon tank with an air tube. they grew a lot due to the larger amount of space and water volume. I also found several ephyra. I moved the ephyra to a small glass beaker for now. more are on the way.
That was the good news, now for the bad. Im in a bit of a sticky situation. I have several time sensitive tasks to complete but without sufficient funding. I really need to finish my breeding system soon so I can hopefully grow moon jellies. maybe then I could sell them to fund all of this. I also need to buy a filter for my second tank. I found a great company that can sell me cannonball jellyfish. They also sell atlantic sea nettles, Cassiopeia, Lion’s mane jellies, comb jellies and cross jellies. The Cannonballs are almost out of season though.
So I may just build a tank to house combs or atlantic sea nettles for now. That way I can concentrate on building the breeding system and then work on gaining a second species.
But  I really need to find a good source of funding for my research. I have a lot of great projects in mind and things I need to buy but I just cant afford everything. I would love to research the Atlantic Box jelly, and comb jellies as well. I also want to find ways to keep even more exotic jellyfish in simple aquariums. It seems people are limited to the moon jellyfish and possibly the Cassiopeia/lagoon jellyfish combo. Wouldn’t it be great to keep comb jellies or sea nettles of some sort?
I really want to sell jellyfish in the near future. I' m also looking into building and selling tanks. I just need the money to fund more research and get started. Donations would be great :D. Well thats what Im working on. If you have any ideas on funding or research idea I would love to hear them!

6 comments:

  1. I would be interested in knowing the company that sells comb jellies. And you might try Kickstarter.com for project funding. I think if you sold Moons you'd have a good market. I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the ideas. The company I know of is "Gulf Specimens" they sell all kinds of gulf of mexico jellyfish including two species of warm water combs. Thanks for the kind comment :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info on Gulf Specimens. I'd like to discuss your Cylindrical tank with you, but I can't find an email addy for you on this site. Are you on FB or G+? Thanks, Fritz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your research looks promising. I wish was you or one of your assitants. I hope one day, you can just keep a jellyfish in a jar without it dying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to buy a jellyfish plz email me at stacyspears85@hotmail.com and send a pic plz. How big do they get?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey if u live in australia i might be able to help you,reply soon

      Delete