Thursday, October 20, 2011

Got my new clown fish. :)

So I got my clown fish. I actually got two. A male and a female. They seem to be getting along fairly well. The jellyfish hasn't caused them harm. Both are true Percula clown fish. The female is named Dorito and the male is named Cheeto. Fitting names I suppose. ;) 

My clown's do seem to need somewhere to hide or to rest in. I'm really not leaning towards an anemone. I know they are clownfish compatible but jellyfish and anemones don't seem to get along well. Anemones tend to eat jellyfish in the wild. I'm not sure how they would act in a tank. But I don't have enough lighting for the anemones anyways. So I'm thinking a live algae of some sort. Caulerpa or Chaeto would be the most famous, and the first choice for a reef keeper. I don't really like the way Caulerpa looks and it seems a bit spiny for a jellyfish aquarium. Chaeto seems very nice and fluffy. However I've heard it can overtake and outgrow aquariums. So I will have to ponder about that for a while. Of course I could always opt for a fake rubber anemone from petco. 

But as far as clown fish go : great choice. They really brighten up the jellyfish aquarium and add so other interesting aspects to the tank. Clown fish themselves are actually pretty funny. They tend to dance about the aquarium looking for food. They are also very attractive too. 

6 comments:

  1. How are your fish doing
    can i ask what temp you have your tank at?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, both of my clown fish have died since. The tank is kept around 75 to 78 degrees F.

      Delete
  2. Do u have any idea why they died? Was it the jelly fish? Water conditions? Did you ever put in an anemone?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ammonia seemed to have built up under the substrate and then exploded out in a large spike. Fish produce a lot more ammonia than jellies.

      Delete
  3. I noticed in the picture that you had a marble type of bottom of the tank. I did that in a freshwater tank with Cichlids and wound up with major water problems. That may have been a factor.

    ReplyDelete