Monday, March 12, 2012

Fixing the problem and update on moon jellies

So via process of elimination I can assume that my problem with the jellyfish was the salt. So this time around I'm going to get 200 gallons worth of aquarium salt and a reverse osmosis filter. The city tap water might work, but I'd rather not stretch it at this point. Plus a reverse osmosis unit will save me several trips to the store for distilled water here and there. Now personally, I feel that ocean water is superior to any other water for jellies, but I cant bring back 200 gallons of ocean water back from the beach.



Now as for the jellyfish, I will be going back to the beach to gather some more and bring them back. I'm thinking, 4-5 if I can. The last time I was at the beach the jellies were everywhere, but that could easily have changed since then. I feel a hurricane brought them in, but this time the jellies may stay far out in the ocean. Of course that may also be false. We will just have to find out.

Update on my moon jellies~

I'm still working on them. I've got a few in my 20 gallon tank, and more on the way. Hopefully this round will be the most successful.

Also I'm getting some upside down jellyfish polyps in the mail. I've heard that these jellyfish practically grow themselves. Hopefully that is true, I'm interested to see what they are like.

6 comments:

  1. Where did you get the polyps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traded with someone. I got upside down polyps in exchange for moons.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, the solar salt seems likely...Quality control at their manufacturing place wouldn't give a crap about aquarium needs, god knows what can be in it. How did you eliminate down to that though? Was it a new bag of it? Did you try another small makeup to test the snail in again?

    I don't know if you're testing for copper, but it seems plausible for distilled water from the store to contain more than you'd want in your tank. Same thing with the tap water (brass valves, copper piping). I know its toxic to snails, not sure about jellyfish...of course getting an RO will get rid of any concerns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah i got all the other parameters dead solid. It had to be either the water or the salt. Could have been both, but I read that solar salt is pretty terrible. I used another test fish, brand new. Died over night as well. So I'm just going to start afresh.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the very detailed blog! Have you posted about or do you have any tips about catching moon jellyfish (just use a net? put them in bags of salt water? rescue them from shore? etc).

    Alexa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you catch jellyfish, you want to keep them suspended in water. They often fall apart when netted. The best I have found is to either gently push a jellyfish into a bag underwater or to capture the jellyfish in a bucket.

      Delete