Tuesday, May 1, 2012

New jellyfish! Cassiopeia!

Today I received a large package of approximately 70 Cassiopeia jellyfish and a few hundred cassiopeia polyps. I organized a trade of moon jellyfish polyps for cassiopeia polyps and a few juveniles. I ended up giving away nearly 70% of my moon jellyfish polyp stock. Normally this would sound insane, but there is a master scheme behind this. As you may have noticed, I'm still working on raising moon jellyfish to sell. I am getting the hang of growing them, now I just need to build more tanks and make the growing process more efficient. In the mean time my polyps were mass producing little ephyra. These are pretty much worthless if I have nothing to raise them in. (Cannonball ephyra are in my dishes currently). So giving my polyps away for a cool new species is a perfect answer.

I'm not kidding about the cool part either. After a year and a half of raising clear moon jellies, these new cassiopeia were quite a surprise. Most cassiopeia tend to be a brownish tan color. These cassiopeia are straight blue. Its a very lovely color. The polyps are also quite interesting. They are quite a bit bigger than moon jellyfish polyps (so are the planula, a few were swimming with the polyps). I find this to be a good thing. These polyps should be easier to move, and to handle. Speaking of moving, I noticed the polyps have the ability to twitch their entire body. It was quite eerie.

I have to be careful with these jellies, they are fairly invasive and could break into my other cultures. Hopefully I wont have that problem, as I'm very excited to raise these new jellies. Now I've got moon jellies, Cannonball jellies, and Cassiopeia jellyfish.

Acclimating the new jellies. 
Two of the larger specimens, clinging to the side of their tank. 

6 comments:

  1. is their tank just a plastic bin with an air pump.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how do u feed them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They eat baby brine shrimp. I just add them to the water and they feed. The also grow photosynthetic bacteria to eat. Right now they are in a plastic bin with an air pump and light. I have a real tank for them, I just need to clean it.

      Delete
  3. You talk about your bins and dishes quite a bit but I still haven't seen much of them.

    I'm interested in
    A) air pump as circulation in bins, what's the setup and how do you keep from harming your jellies with bubbles?
    B) when you talk about the magnetic stir, I'm thinking beaker and spinning magnetic metal bar from science lab, same thing? and what about crushing or metal leaching?
    C) you talk about using petri dishes and cups, for polyps and ephyra, how do you keep the water from fowling for so long
    D) when you perform water changes, whats your procedure?
    E) you talk about being weary or polyps in large tanks, in case of tons of ephyra, why use something smaller instead?
    Sorry for the list! I'm very interested! I just want to make sure to have multiple closed systems up and running and on stand by for my endeavor into keeping and breeding jellies as a hobby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      A) I may use air circulation for small ephyra or for cassioepia. Cassiopeia jellyfish dont move often, and therefore only need the air for oxygen. The bubbles are always quite large, and therefore cannot harm the jellies.

      B)Yeah the magnetic stirrer is the same as those used in labs. All of the stir bars I use are coated with teflon to protect the jellies. There is a high flow around the stirbar, so the jellies never come into contact with it.

      C)When I use dishes, I generally change the water daily for ephyra. For polyps, I let the water sit for weeks, as they don't mind the water quality as much as ephyra. All dishes are covered to prevent evaporation.

      D) I use a pipette with the fine end cut off to transport ephyra. I simply place them in a smaller dish for the time being. Then I drain their original dish, and scrub it clean. I fill it with new water and add the jellies again.

      E) Polyps will reproduce to fit the volume of the tank. This often leaves me with hundreds of ephyra, and in many cases, I cannot handle that many. For this reason, I often keep my polyps in smaller tanks, unless I want to mass produce jellies.

      No problem! Its cool that you are looking into breeding jellyfish!

      Delete
  4. Do you think 4 small cassiopia can survive in a 5 gal bucket for 3-4 weeks with a bubbler and some water changes. I am using a standard florescent light. This is foe a science project to see if the warmer tank grows faster.

    How about zooplankton from the aquarium store to feed them.

    ReplyDelete