Wednesday, June 20, 2012

New Lights for the 200 Gallon.

I recently received a shipment of LED lights to go on the 200 gallon tank. As you may have read, a few weeks ago my old LED light was dumped in the tank and trashed. The light did do its job, but it wasn't very bright. Therefore, this opened up the opportunity to get some better lights. I visited the local fish store to browse LED lights. Unfortunately, everything there was marked up and had unnecessary parts. I turned to the internet and found a raw strip of LED lights. They were very cheap, and advertised as water proof 10,000 K lights. I was quite skeptic of this at first, but bought them anyway. The price for 6 feet of the lights was quite cheap, therefore I figured it wouldn't hurt to test the lights out.

I was blown away, when I received the lights. The strip was coated entirely in a rubberized plastic to keep out water. The adapter for it was of high quality. The lights were also just as bright as advertised. I was quite pleased with the product.

In a few days I will clean off the underside of the top of the 200 gallon tank, and stick the lights in place. This way the cords and such will be sleek and covered. As of right now the tank itself is still empty. I do have some new life in their though. I bought a chunk of macro algae from my LFS. The algae included 2 kinds of  Caulerpa and some Chaetomorpha. Currently I have the algae in a tiny makeshift refugium, that is hanging near the top of the aquarium. This way the algae will receive some light, and wont be consumed by the other life in the tank.  I also got some hermit crabs, sponges, corals, and hydrozoans colonies from the beach last weekend. I believe the sponges may be dead, however I have no clue. They are quite solid, and smell fine, but they don't show any sorts of "life signs". Hopefully they will cause no harm, as I simply have them to give a place for hermit crabs and plankton to house. I found a live sea whip with some soft coral growing at the base. Everything seems fine, but I am unsure as to how it will do. One of the more interesting pieces I found was a clump of algae with a colony of hydroids on it. Amongst my catch of algae I also found a partially destroyed clapper hydromedusa. This jellyfish is a tiny atlantic hydrozoan species that may or may not be related to the hydroids I found on the algae. I guess we will find out!

3 comments:

  1. I'm back and have three things to say:
    You know that algae I told you about? it glows and I thought about what you said. What is keeping me from keeping jellyfish, you just need a really big bucket and some oxygen pumps, or do you? That's why I'm asking you, what are the basic requirements for keeping, not displaying, jellyfish.

    second thing:The other thing that's keeping me from jellies is that A: I live in Germany and B: I'm only twelve years old (please do not judge me, I hate it how people do that)and C: I don't have space but I'm sure I can overcome those things.

    Third thing: What will your company be like? I think it would be cool if the company was called "the jelly roger" and for a logo it would be the jolly roger but instead of a skull, it would be a jellyfish!Just a suggestion.

    P.S. please tell me if I'm getting annoying, I sometimes do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, jellyfish and be kept in just about anything. The key aspects are to keep the jellyfish suspended in water at all times. They water quality must remain fairly good as well. Some jellyfish like upside down jellyfish can be kept in buckets with air pumps. Others like moon jellies will perish.

      There are some suppliers of jellies in Germany. (Johannes at Aquarium und Meer: info@aquarium-und-meer.de ) Don't let your age get you. I was young when I started caring for jellies. Space cam be an issue but its overcomable.

      Hahaha i like the name, but weve already created a site (www.thinkjellyfish.webs.com)

      Dont worry your fine. :)

      Delete
    2. I forgot about one, unovercomeable, important facter: parents.

      Delete