Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Upside Down Jellyfish Strobilation

So my upside down jellyfish polyps have been sitting in their tank for the last few weeks with very little activity going on. The polyps themselves will twitch every now and then, oddly enough. As far as strobilation goes, there was nothing. I found one ephyra pulsing around the tank. There was no sign as to where it came from. So I decided it was time to figure out how I could get the polyps to strobilate and produce ephyra for me.

First I tried putting some polyps under a strong light. The upside down jellyfish does have a symbiotic relationship with the photosynthetic algae/bacteria zooxanthellae. Perhaps the polyps only feel comfortable strobilating in well lit conditions. After one week of testing, my hypothesis was wrong. No polyps had strobilated.

I decided to contact the person whom traded the upside down polyps for moon polyps. They told me that an increase in temperature of around 10 degrees would induce strobilation. I raised the temperature in the tank by ten degrees. Two days later, several polyps began to strobilate. Each polyp on produces one ephyra at a time. On day two I found 1 ephyra and noticed a few polyps strobilating. On day five I noticed around 20 free ephyra and several polyps strobilating.

I will likely lower the temperature at day ten. I don't want the polyps to produce ephyra nonstop. If they don't get a break to regenerate cells and tissues, then they will stop producing healthy ephyra.

10 comments:

  1. Me again,(comment from last post)and I have a few questions, could jellyfish and the Pyrocystis lunula algae coexist peacefully? Would food coloring hurt moon jellies? So many experiments I'd like to do, research to be done. I envy you very much. I could only dream of doing this. I wish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its possible that such algae could coexist with jellyfish. I am not entirely sure, however. I have tried adding food coloring to cultures of jellyfish. It always ends in a sad death. :(. Whats keeping you from keeping jellyfish?

      Delete
  2. Hi, i have a question about what was the temperature before (or after) increase?

    Tanks!
    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, i have a question about what was the temperature before (or after) increase?

    Tanks!
    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, i have a question about what was the temperature before (or after) increase?

    Tanks!
    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  5. i believe that you are wrong because polyps bud when water is cold and when water in hot they will just create more polyps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. if you really want to budd jellyfish you want to feed more when they finish strollibating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. if you really want to budd jellyfish you want to feed more when they finish strollibating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. if you want jellyfish you need to feed more when the polyps start to strollibate.

    ReplyDelete