Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sea Nettles for Sale?

All of my sea nettles are alive except for one that died. I noticed that some of them weren't doing so well in the 20 gallon pseudo kreisel. Thinking ahead, I set up my 9 gallon cylindrical jellyfish tank. I put one sea nettle in as a test. It took forever to acclimate to the tank. For the longest period of time, it was just sitting on the bottom of the tank. It later got up and began to become active. I added two more reccently. One is mostly acclimated, and the other is still having some swimming issues. The three in the 9 gallon are actually doing quite nice compared to the ones in the 20 gallon. All of their tentacles and oral arms are nice and relaxed. The jellies in the 20 gallon seem to be shedding some arms, and their tentacles are often retracted. I think it may be an ammonia problem, so I will try some water changes to fix the issue.

Now that I have added three Sea Nettles to the 9 gallon, I can test their compatibility in the tank. Everything is looking great so far. As long as nothing happens, we will offer Sea Nettles and the cylindrical tank on ThinkJellyfish. Im quite excited, as the sea nettles look really beautiful in the futuristic looking cylindrical tank.



I havent noticed any Sea Nettle polyps yet, but I will continue to look. With three in the 9 gallon, I would expect to find some polyps growing on the live rock as well. Of course, there could easily be all of one gender in the tank, but I'm hoping for the best. There are 8 jellies in the 20 gallon. Thats realistically a 100 percent chance of a male and female. I hope to find some soon!


EDIT: You can now purchase Sea Nettles Here: http://www.jellyfishwarehouse.com/shop.html#!/Jellyfish/c/11878978/offset=0&sort=normal

7 comments:

  1. They look very nice, but is the tank specialized for jellyfish? I have a tank that looks just like that, would it work for jellies? Also, did you like the websites I told you about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we had to modify the tank for the jellies. The sea nettles, being a little heavier and lathargic, needed more modifications. Is the tank exactly the same in volume? Yes, I did like those links, thanks for sending them to me!

      Delete
  2. Hey nice work. I also keep jellies in the eon tank system. Hey do you know why my jellyfish seem to be getting a little bit flatter than usual. They used to have a nice bell shape but now they've flattened out. Is the salinity too high maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey nice work. I also keep jellies in the eon tank system. Hey do you know why my jellyfish seem to be getting a little bit flatter than usual. They used to have a nice bell shape but now they've flattened out. Is the salinity too high maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Im not too familiar with the eon system. i do know that jellies tend to flatten out when they don't pulse enough. Can you adjust the flow on the tank? If so, you may want to lower the flow just a little bit. The salinity could be an issue as well. Whats your salinity at?

      Delete
  4. Well my refractometer reads salinity at 33 ppt and specific gravity 1.024-25

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for helping me out by the way I added you on Google plus feel free to email me anytime...I'm very grateful

    ReplyDelete