Thursday, August 2, 2012

To The Beach!

I am off the beach soon! I will be leaving saturday and spending five days there. In that time, I hope to catch some jellyfish. Several species have been known to occupy the area including, but not limited to,


  • Moon Jellyfish (Aurelia aurita)
  • Cannonball Jellyfish (Stomolophus meleagris)
  • Australian Spotted Jellyfish (Phyllorhiza punctata)
  • Atlantic Sea Nettles (Chrysaora quinquecirra)
  • Atlantic Box Jellies
    • Chiropsalmus quadrumanus 
    • Tamoya haplonema
Other jellyfish that could be potentially present are,

Lion's Mane Jellyfish (Cyanea capillata)
Mushroom Jellyfish (Rhopilema verrilli)

I would love to catch more cannonball jellyfish to go in my tank. Im still not sure if I have a male and female, so the more the merrier. I also fairly interested in the Atlantic Sea Nettles. They require other jellyfish in their diet, which could be an issue. Of course, knowing me, I will be interested in ay jellyfish that the oceans bring me!

My packing for the trip includes,

  • A five gallon bucket for holding jellyfish in during the trip.
  • An airpump. 
  • Two mini sein nets. These will be helpful for jellyfish that are hard to see or for swarms of jellies.
  • A container for collecting single specimens, so I don't have to drag my bucket everywhere. 
  • Bags for storing jellyfish in on the way back.
  • A mini oxygen canister for cannonball jellyfish (they use a ton of oxygen when confined in bags)
  • Dishes
  • A pipette
  • Jars
  • Other miscellaneous stuffs
I will post updates during the trip or when I get back. 

4 comments:

  1. what size tank will you use for the sea nettles or lions mane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the sea nettles, I have a 20 gallon and ten gallon Kreisel. I can put them in the 20 and 10 if needed. Then I can build a bigger Kreisel if I need to. If I see lion's mane jellies, I may leave it, unless it's a small specimen. If there are many, then I will gather Gina's samples for in vitro.

      Delete
    2. cool cant wait to hear more. good luck

      Delete