Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Updates, and My Tanks.

Sea Nettles- Unfortunately, all of the Atlantic Sea Nettles have died. I believe that the cause of most of their deaths was due to a bacterial crash in the filter. I added reverse osmosis water to an already established jellyfish tank. Looking back, this probably nuked most of the bacteria in the filter. With the large density of sea nettles I was housing, the ammonia probably got to them. Three did manage to survive longer in a test cylindrical tank. They seemed to do just fine, but did require a fair amount of food and attention.

This wont be my last shot with the sea nettles though. It's likely I will be going back to gather more jellies this summer or possibly sooner in november. I hope to also acquire some of their polyps at some point as well.

2 species of Moon jellyfish- I still haven't managed to figure out what two species of moon jellies I have. Research online has shown some interesting results. After searching for pictures of Aurelia labiata strobila and ephyra, I found pictures that showed dark purple ephrya. Pictures of Aurelia aurita ephyra were all yellows or whites. At this point, I am thinking that the moons are not Aurelia labiata, but rather both are variations of Aurelia aurita. The only question is which is which? I will be able to tell later, when I obtain mature jellyfish from both variety. I am currently growing out ephyra and juveniles of both, so hopefully we will have some results soon!

My Tanks- Some people were requesting that I show off all of my tanks in a video. Well here you are! :)


16 comments:

  1. I think its pretty cool. You have a good engineering mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool finally seeing your tanks, also, where are you getting lagoon jellyfish from and will you be sellying the thinkfilter independently? Keep up the good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are going to import them from the tropical Pacific and try to breed them. If the tank and filter work out all right, then we likely will. Thanks! :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, and for "tank buddies" google reef cleaners then select "custom clean up crews" answer their questions and make sure to tell them that it's for jellyfish tanks at the bottom. (in the comment box)then submit form.

      Delete
  3. Who are you importing them from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are not entirely sure yet. It may all depend.

      Delete
  4. can't find the video

    ReplyDelete
  5. About the cladonema jellyfish, can they do both freshwater and saltwater or just freshwater?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cladonema jellyfish can only live in saltwater.

      Delete
    2. IM THINKING OF BUYING SOME OF UR CLADONEMA jellies. How big do they get and are they very sensitive to chemical changes?

      Delete
    3. All pelagic animals are sensitive to "chemical changes".....

      Delete
  6. what do you feed them cladonema jellies

    ReplyDelete
  7. what r some facts i need to know about the cladonema jellies?I am thinking of getting some, but i need some quick care taking tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't require much care at all. They are essentially indestructible. They eat baby brine shrimp and plankton.

      Delete
  8. How big do the cladonema jellyfish get?
    Do they change shape or anythind crazy?

    ReplyDelete