Sunday, October 21, 2012

Wild Caught Jellies

Just recently, some jellyfish were caught for me on the Atlantic coast. All of them range under the size of a quarter, with four different species being present(as far as I can tell so far).
Species,


(1) Mnemiopsis macrydi Lobed comb jellyfish. (Same kind I caught a while back)


















(1) Pleurobrachia sp. Sea Gooseberry. (Comb jellyfish) 











(several) Bell Jellyfish, I'm unsure of the species though. No picture currently.

(Several) Eirene/clytia Sp?, I dont know the common name. 













All of these jellies are quite interesting. Their sizes are all quite astonishing. Even the Mnemiopsis comb jellyfish is very small (Eraser head size). It has the potential to grow fairly larger, however. I've noticed that all these jellies do just fine without any supporting water flow. Some are being kept in a 30 gallon rectangular aquarium, the only flow being a light air stone. 

I will be moving some of each species into another tank as well. They may go into a 20 gallon kreisel or a 5 gallon regular tank. I will be going Sea Nettle collecting over Thanksgiving, so I will need room for them as well. 

An interesting point I found- Sea Gooseberries and Bell Jellies are often found living together in the Pacific Ocean. But here they were, living together yet again, this time in the Atlantic ocean. I wonder if they were brought in through the Panama Canal on the ballast water of ships?

I also found out that the Eirene Jellies are also found in Japan. Thats quite strange, considering that Japan is nearly on the other side of the world from here... I would assume thats a clue that the reproduce  in a proliferate manner.  










1 comment: