|My Fantastic work at melting the drain holes into a grate style drain.|
The mysterious polyp finally strobilated. It released 3 baby ephyra. It looks as if a few more could have been born but they were very damaged. I saw one ephyra that was born with 1/8 of its normal body tissue. it was quite strange, and mildly sad. The new three ephyra seem to be very healthy. I've moved them into my 8 inch culture dish on top of the magnetic stirrer. From here I am going to raise them and see what I get. Im hoping for cannonball jellyfish, but there is still the chance of them being moon jellyfish.
Now, the mysterious ephyra are occupying my only 8 inch dish. I've decided Im going to be setting up a new system for moon jellies. I want to eliminate the need to raise the brand new ephyra in a dish. This takes lots of time and I can only raise around 7 ephyra at a time. As I learn more about raising moon jellies I make plenty of mistakes. I cant afford to only raise 7 at a time. So I'm going to use a tank design from the blog Jellyfish Aquarist (http://www.jellyfishaquarist.com/diy-jelly-tank/). The tank is simple and cheap. I save the major details for another post, but I will post a "teaser" image.