Saturday, March 30, 2013

New Jellyfish From Florida

So just recently, I got some new jellyfish that were obtained from the Florida coast. They are a variety of Upside Down Jellyfish. I do already have a species of Upside Down Jellyfish, but I have no clue as to their origin. The ones that were shipped to me are most definitely a Florida species. Currently the Upside Down Jellyfish that is provided at Thinkjellyfish.com are the same as these jellies.

I find Upside Down Jellyfish to be a rather interesting jellyfish. They seem to be islands with little forests on them; all of which is underwater. 


Interestingly, the darker oral arms of this jelly look like swiss cheese.  As you can see, there are these holes in the tissue on the inside. I imagine this could be space for algae to grow, or perhaps it's just a mark or age. 

My goal with these jellies is to successfully breed them in vitro style. I've tried it in the past, but haven't found any success. I feel that may be due to the fact that I've only tried it on species of jellies that wont breed in captivity naturally. To perfect the technique, I will try it with these guys. I simply have to draw some reproductive tissue from a male and female jellyfish. Then you combine the tissues in a dish of clean water. The eggs should become fertilized and develop into planula. These are located and collected. The planula are put into a new dish and left to settle into polyps. If this method works, I should be able to use it on much more difficult species, such as Cannonballs and blubbers. Neither of these species have been bred in captivity for a sustainable amount of time.

Filtration in this system is quite a bit different from the norm for jellyfish. I took a plastic cup (that once held a large frozen drink) and drilled several holes in it. I filled the cup up about a fourth with small pieces of ceramic rock. Then I put in a tall, standing filter and filled the extra space with more rock. This way, the filter is shielded by the cup. The more holes you drill in the cup, the less flow on each hole. The rocks will also provide an opportunity for bacteria to grow.

2 comments:

  1. I do research on upside down jellyfish in Hawaii. We have 2-4 spp here. The blue ones you posted previously are very interesting! If you'd be willing to part with a few I can do DNA analysis on them to find out if they really are an un-described species.
    I'm very curious to see if you have success breading them in a tank. I sure haven't :(.
    If you'd be willing to share your experiences with with caring, maintaining, and breeding of upside down jellyfish it would be very much appreciated. Please e-mail me (djkjk@hawaii.edu)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete