Monday, August 18, 2014

Breeding Atlantic Sea Nettles Part II

Success! I have successfully bred my first Atlantic Sea Nettle! I'm extremely excited about the little guy. Its maybe 3/4" in diameter right now. Believe it or not, the jellies' tentacles already stretch 8"!

I had a large batch of Sea Nettle ephyra born early last month. There were probably 80 total. Everything was going well and they were all slowly growing. Then I had a large die off,  leaving me with 3-4. Well in the end, two of them pushed through. I needed to move them from their mini grow out tank to something larger. In the process of experimenting, I killed one more. So I was left with one Sea Nettle. I babied this thing like it was my own child. And it's grown to a stable size now. I will give a little bit of info on how I did it.

So I raise the brand new ephyra in a jar/beaker or round tank that uses air to circulate the water. The ephyra are pretty small so they need a small tank to ensure they feed well. The smaller the tank, the more likely they are to bump into their food. So this meant an empty yogurt tub for me! It worked pretty good. I conducted water changes every few days and fed them daily. When they got larger, but were still ephyra, I moved them to a round beta tank and used a bubbler. I liked this design a little more. This is where the ephyra really grew out. It almost seemed like more frequent water changes bothered them. That has no real scientific evidence to back it up though.

Once the juveniles grew out some of their fine tentacles, I moved them to psuedokreisel tanks to grow out. My one last Sea Nettle is still growing out right now. Ive caught many wild Atlantic Sea Nettles from North Carolina to Florida. They are always beat up with really short tentacles. The Sea Nettle Im growing right now is absolutely pristine. It's amazing how much of a difference captive raising can be!

I'm giving my polyps time to rest, but I would like to get another batch of ephyra going, and give this a third shot!

2 comments:

  1. I prefer moon jellyfish as they're easier to house, but nettles are so awesome to watch, especially when they grow large.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your progress from a fan of homegrown research! I have just acquired a bunch of sea nettle polyps and I am going to try and follow your footsteps. I am utilizing recirculating filtration so we'll see.

    ReplyDelete