Thursday, May 31, 2012

Update on the 200 gallon tank

I havent said much about the 200 gallon tank in a while. A few events have occurred recently. Last week, the aquarium light fell into the tank. Im not entirely sure as to how this happened. It could have been the wind, or an animal. But either way the light fell in and most of the LEDs were trashed. So the jellies had to go without light. I'm still unsure as to whether or not they harbor zooxnthellae. I also don't know whether or not some copper leaked into the tank from the light. After a few days the smallest cannonball jelly disapeared. Only a small strip of "jelly" was left over. Strangely enough this tiny strip (2x1") still twitched. The next day I noticed the larger jelly seemed to be stuck to the bottom of the tank. When I scooped it up, part of its bell stuck to the sand. The best comparison to this would be stepping on chewing gum. It appeared as though part of the bell became quite sticky and slime like. I believe the jellyfish began to die and bacteria in the substrate helped that along. Both ended up dying around the same time. This would suggest that either the water had a crash in pH or perhaps there was copper present in the water. To remedy both of these potential problems I added oyster shells (pH) and Amquel (neutralizes heavy metals). Hopefully this will solve my problems. As a test, I added two spider crabs and a hermit crab to the tank. There are also around 50 tiny snails still rummaging in the tank. 

Im fairly happy with this try with cannonball jellies. I've kept them for around 3 months now. This is a major feat compared to the 1 week life span I had last time. Assuming the tank is safe, I will gather some more cannonball jellies. Hopefully this time I will get a male and female. 

Interesting fact: Cannonball jellyfish are gathered and served in various dishes! 

Picture credit:

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Plans for This Summer

So summer is nearly here. In the summer I will be much less occupied and can concentrate on my jellies. :) I have several plan for this summer. 

As some of you may have noticed, I have a poll regarding comb jellies on the side of this blog. I was curious to see if anyone would be interested in buying comb jellies. It looks like the answer is yes. So I will be obtaining 12 comb jellies (Mnemiopsis macrydi). If the comb jellies sell really well, then I will get 12 more. Unfortunately, comb jellies do not reproduce through polyps, so I will not be able to keep cultures of them. Their reproduction involved fertilization in water which in turn creates an embryo that develops into an adult. I've never seen, never the less handled a comb jelly before. So bear with me here. :)

Im still working on those moon jellies. I've mastered raising the ephyra up until they get put into a grow out tank. I believe the filtration was a problem. So I'm currently trying to modify my 20 gallon aquarium. The internal filtration didn't seem like enough. I figure if I increase the filtration, then all will be sound. There isn't much room left in the tank itself, so I'm going to build an over flow and let the water flow over a large trickle filter into a sump. The trickle filter will likely be constructed out of one of those plastic office drawers with the sliding tubs. One tub will be filled with a sponge or mesh to catch large debris. The rest of the tubs will contain bio media. I will be sure to show my process of building that. 

The ephyra system I was building earlier is now done, for the most part. The polyp tank and the ephyra tank are complete. I just need to build a sump and trickle filter for it as well. I may end up combing the trickle filter from the 20 gallon above, with this ephyra system. I just need to calculate the amount of gallons this filtration will handle. 

My cassiopeia are doing fine so far. A few polyps have strobilated. As soon as I can get some boxes and shipping materials, I will be able to ship these jellies, and polyps. I should be able to accomplish this next week or the week after. :)

Happy jellyraising!

Photo credits~

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

New jellyfish! Cassiopeia!

Today I received a large package of approximately 70 Cassiopeia jellyfish and a few hundred cassiopeia polyps. I organized a trade of moon jellyfish polyps for cassiopeia polyps and a few juveniles. I ended up giving away nearly 70% of my moon jellyfish polyp stock. Normally this would sound insane, but there is a master scheme behind this. As you may have noticed, I'm still working on raising moon jellyfish to sell. I am getting the hang of growing them, now I just need to build more tanks and make the growing process more efficient. In the mean time my polyps were mass producing little ephyra. These are pretty much worthless if I have nothing to raise them in. (Cannonball ephyra are in my dishes currently). So giving my polyps away for a cool new species is a perfect answer.

I'm not kidding about the cool part either. After a year and a half of raising clear moon jellies, these new cassiopeia were quite a surprise. Most cassiopeia tend to be a brownish tan color. These cassiopeia are straight blue. Its a very lovely color. The polyps are also quite interesting. They are quite a bit bigger than moon jellyfish polyps (so are the planula, a few were swimming with the polyps). I find this to be a good thing. These polyps should be easier to move, and to handle. Speaking of moving, I noticed the polyps have the ability to twitch their entire body. It was quite eerie.

I have to be careful with these jellies, they are fairly invasive and could break into my other cultures. Hopefully I wont have that problem, as I'm very excited to raise these new jellies. Now I've got moon jellies, Cannonball jellies, and Cassiopeia jellyfish.

Acclimating the new jellies. 
Two of the larger specimens, clinging to the side of their tank.