Sunday, October 21, 2012

Wild Caught Jellies

Just recently, some jellyfish were caught for me on the Atlantic coast. All of them range under the size of a quarter, with four different species being present(as far as I can tell so far).

(1) Mnemiopsis macrydi Lobed comb jellyfish. (Same kind I caught a while back)

(1) Pleurobrachia sp. Sea Gooseberry. (Comb jellyfish) 

(several) Bell Jellyfish, I'm unsure of the species though. No picture currently.

(Several) Eirene/clytia Sp?, I dont know the common name. 

All of these jellies are quite interesting. Their sizes are all quite astonishing. Even the Mnemiopsis comb jellyfish is very small (Eraser head size). It has the potential to grow fairly larger, however. I've noticed that all these jellies do just fine without any supporting water flow. Some are being kept in a 30 gallon rectangular aquarium, the only flow being a light air stone. 

I will be moving some of each species into another tank as well. They may go into a 20 gallon kreisel or a 5 gallon regular tank. I will be going Sea Nettle collecting over Thanksgiving, so I will need room for them as well. 

An interesting point I found- Sea Gooseberries and Bell Jellies are often found living together in the Pacific Ocean. But here they were, living together yet again, this time in the Atlantic ocean. I wonder if they were brought in through the Panama Canal on the ballast water of ships?

I also found out that the Eirene Jellies are also found in Japan. Thats quite strange, considering that Japan is nearly on the other side of the world from here... I would assume thats a clue that the reproduce  in a proliferate manner.  

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Moon Jellyfish Breeding

Lately I have been working on breeding Moon Jellyfish again. I tried a batch last month that did well for a while, but later crashed. The problem was a poor quality brine shrimp I was using. Bacteria from the brine shrimp cultures built up on the screen and caused many jellies to get sucked up on it.

Since then, I have washed the ephyra tank out copiously, and changed my food. I am back to using "Aquaculture Nursery Farms hatching decapsulated brine shrimp eggs". These are a little more expensive than the other eggs I bought, but the quality is immensely superior.

After changing the food I noticed a higher quality of life for the jellies. The tank remained cleaner, and all of the jellies seem to be growing quite well. The screens did get a little clogged earlier this week. I simply took all of the ephyra and developing jellies out, and washed it using a spray nozzle on my sink.

Several ephyra have reached the size of about 1/4 inch in bell diameter. At this point they look like mini adult Moon Jellies. They have four tiny oral arms, and a mostly filled in bell. These jellies got moved to my 10 gallon pseudokreisel tank, along with Think the jellyfish who is now 1 inch in diameter.

All of this is pretty exciting for me, as this will be my first large scale batch of successful ephyra. I have had a minor problem this batch, but it's fairly humorous. I have too many ephyra! The polyps have been really active this month, and I may actually have too may of them as well. Im selling some of the polyps off, but the moon jellies should provide enough funding to simply add a second ephyra tank to the system.